Emerging Practices with Promise
Submitted By: Martha Mendez, Victor Valley College
Community College Transitional Counselor
- Type of Practice: Seamless Transitions
- Targeted Population: Adult Basic Education Students, Adults with Disabilities, English Language Learners, High School Equivalency Students, K12 to CC Transitioning Students
- Program Area(s): Adult Basic & Secondary Education, Adults with Disabilities, English as a Second Language & Citizenship , Career Technical Education
- Consortia Involved:
West Hills College Consortium: Apple Valley Unified School District, Hesperia Unified School District, Lucerne Valled Unified School District, Snowline Joint Unified School District, Victor Valley College, Victor Valley Union High School District
Transitions between programs at the adult schools to community colleges can be a daunting task for many adult who may be unfamiliar with processes and policies of the various agencies and programs.
Adult learner transitional challenges:
1) Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of steps required to complete adult programs.
2) They do not recognizing the links between adult education programs and various agencies of the County Support Services Departments, Postsecondary programs and State Agencies.
3) They do not understand the pathway from adult school to postsecondary education.
4) They do not understand the steps to enrollment into postsecondary education and remain unclear of a career pathway.
They don't attempt to navigate transitioning.
To connect Adult Education students to postsecondary academic pathways, the bilingual counselor provided a number of activities to support Adult Students at each adult school in the region. Counselor outreach activities include the following: regular visits on the adult school campus to conduct workshops such as Steps to enrollment, financial aid, and certificate and degree programs at the community college. The counselor set-up a "remind" account to remain in contact with students via the text messaging system "Remind". All students received guidance admissions and registration, orientation, EOPS, DSPS, CARE, and FAFSA. Adult education students have enrolled in college courses with several taking the college counselor's "Guidance 101".
Adult student outcomes include the following:
1)Adult students understand the requirements to complete adult education programs.
2)Adult students recognize the links between their adult education programs and the supportive services they are receiving through State, County, and local agencies.
3)Adult students clearly understand their steps to enrollment into community college and a career pathway.
4)Adult students receive individual education plans that link their postsecondary education with a career pathway.
As a result, VVAERC will continue to develop the transitional program in order to capture and support students through successful transition to College academic and CTE programs.
The VVAERC's Transitional Counselor Services provided transitional services to students at the regional Adult Education Schools that had never before been provided "on-site". The data tracking method is under development as the consortium explores an effective and timely manner of tracking the students receiving transitional services with those who actually matriculate. At the time of this submission, the transitional counselor provided transitional services to 78 students in the Victor Valley Region.
1 person found this practice story helpful.